Each year on April 22 the world celebrates Earth Day. It is a day for action in regards to caring for our common home. The theme this year is “Restore Our Earth”. As Christian’s we are called to not just care for creation but to also work toward restoring it.
Pope Francis has written and spoken extensively on this topic, in particular our call as Christian’s to care for the earth. This year we are sharing a few ways you can get involved.
- Reduce waste: Switch out some everyday products for reusable alternatives. Some examples are: a refillable water bottle rather than single use plastic, reusable food storage bags, cloth grocery bags rather than paper or plastic, or a coffee mug rather than a disposable cup next time you stop at a coffee shop.
- Buy secondhand: When possible, look for used products secondhand. These products have are already been made so give them a second life!
- Shop local: Not only does this support your local community; it also saves the planet by saving on the shipping. It takes a lot of resources to get an item from one place to another.
- Pray: Pope Francis wrote a beautiful “Prayer for Our Earth” in Laudato Si’, found below. Tonight before dinner, gather your family or friends and pray this prayer together.
- Join in the Vatican’s action plan for sustainability: In May 2021, during Laudato Si’ week, the Vatican is launching a Laudato Si’ Action Platform. It is a multi-year plan “to make communities around the world totally sustainable in the spirit of the integral ecology of Laudato Si’”. Read more about the 7 goals of the action platform and how you can get involved here.
- Go outside and enjoy the gift of creation today!
Prayer for Our Earth
All-powerful God, you are present in the whole universe and in the smallest of your creatures. You embrace with your tenderness all that exists.
Pour out upon us the power of your love, that we may protect life and beauty. Fill us with peace, that we may live as brothers and sisters, harming no one.
O God of the poor, help us to rescue the abandoned and forgotten of this earth, so precious in your eyes.
Bring healing to our lives, that we may protect the world and not prey on it, that we may sow beauty, not pollution and destruction.
Touch the hearts of those who look only for gain at the expense of the poor and the earth.
Teach us to discover the worth of each thing, to be filled with awe and contemplation, to recognize that we are profoundly united with every creature as we journey towards your infinite light
We thank you for being with us each day. Encourage us, we pray, in our struggle for justice, love and peace.Pope Francis, Laudato Si’